Quick guides to install and set up Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin
by Sujata Shrestha on 2016 August | Posted in Wordpress Plugin
Due to its ease of use, most of the business owners desire to develop in WordPress.
To build a website in WordPress you require relevant themes and the plugins rich of required functionality. The plugin lets you include the new feature to WordPress website.
And, while talking about WordPress SEO, Yoast comes in the mind. The Yoast WordPress SEO is the most admired and used SEO plugin due to its ease of use.
WordPress SEO by Yoast is the main point where WordPress search engine optimisation lies. Yet, to set up the plugin might be challenging for some users, and a newbie blogger or any individual devoid of the basic knowledge. Also, an inappropriate configuration might prevent you from indexing the blog.
Are you aware of Yoast SEO plugin?
If not, keep following the article. In this article, I will drive you through the quick guides to install and set up Yoast WordPress plugin.
Let’s begin with the features that Yoast WordPress SEO plugin provides:
- Post title and Meta description meta box to update these on the basis of per post
- Taxonomy that includes tag, category and custom taxonomy title and Meta description support
- Snippet preview on Google search result.
- Testing on focused keyword
- Enhanced canonical support, including canonical to taxonomy archives, every single post and the front page.
- Header configuration/RSS footer
- Permalinks clean up that still lets Google custom search
- Breadcrumb support together with configurable breadcrumb title
- XML sitemap with images, configurable removal of post types and taxonomies. Also, the post or page with no-indexed will not illustrate in XML sitemap.
- Produce Sitemap
- Facilitates with XML News Sitemaps
- .htaccess and robots.txt editor
- Allows to verify Google webmaster tool, yahoo website explorer and Bing webmaster tool
How to install Yoast SEO plugin?
Firstly, you have to install and activate WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast.
For easy installation follow the steps below:
- Login to the WordPress website and in the ‘Dashboard’ find menu on the left-hand side
- In the menu click on plugin
- ‘Plugins’ are underlined in the menu and there you can find the plugins you installed till date. After that, click on ‘Add New’ and type ‘Yoast SEO’ via the search bar.
- This directs you to the page of search results. You can see the plugin visible now.
- Click on the link “Install Now” to install the plugin.
- Make sure you click on ‘OK’ on the popup. Then, you will be directed to the screen below. Click on the ‘Activate Plugin’ link and you are done.
- Now, get your Yoast SEO plugin on the left-hand side, underside the menu.
Now, let’s go for set up:
1. Data Transfer
Most of you might be using WordPress plugins such as All in One SEO pack or a theme framework such as Genesis, Thesis or Headway that goes along with your SEO data.
If you desire to use the plugin successfully, assure that your prior data and information are transferred to this plugin earlier than you deactivate another. To carry out this, better go for SEO Data Transporter by StudioPress. But, if you have planned to set up in a new blog, you can skip the step as well.
2. General Setting
Click on the SEO icon and get into Yoast WordPress SEO general setting page. Here you can make some time to learn more about the plugin. Also, reset your plugin to default setting from the page.
3. Your Info tab
Get directed to Your Info tab. Here, you can get the details regarding your website and the individual or business behind it.
At first, you have to give a website name with an ALT name for the search engine to consider. The name of your website becomes your website’s title. But, if you do not add anything here, WordPress SEO automatically employs website’s title as the name of your site.
The other choice is to pick up whether the website is managed by a company or an individual. If you go for a company, you need to give the company’s name along with the logo. And, if you pick an individual, you can include the name of an individual.
4. Webmaster Tools
If you are less aware of SEO, you must have heard about the most recognised search engines like Google, Bing and Alexa lets website proprietor to include their website via webmaster tools.
The tool allows you to look for insight and other applicable data regarding your website from particular search engines. To verify your website, look for the exclusive data, you need to include Meta tag to your web solution or can update file as well.
Most of the newbie might be worried to include Meta tags, keep this preference into the easy procedure. Just include Meta code that you get from search engines in the respective area.
Security is the last tab that you get in general settings. The tab holds just one option that stops advanced area of the WordPress SEO Meta box.
Better leave it checked as it prevents your authors from the updates such as redirects and index which can keep you in trouble in upcoming days.
6. Title and Meta
In this tab, you are allowed to configure some website extensive general setting. WordPress SEO also auto-detects whether to revise the title or not. Also, you can pick the separator used between post title and website title.
Keep in mind, WordPress SEO plugin also includes an SEO Meta box in your post edit part. For better SEO, you can manually enter a title and description for all the posts and pages.
Yoast WordPress SEO comes along with lots of features. It’s one of the great features lets you integrate your website with the social media site like Facebook, Twitter, Google plus and more. And, with a click on the social link under the SEO menu allows you to set up the platforms.
Check out the configuration:
Firstly, look for your social accounts. This lets WordPress SEO update your social profiles to Google. You just have to include URLs and Twitter name for chief social media profiles of your web solution.
Social media site Facebook
On this tab, you have to look for the box that states add open graph Metadata. This lets WordPress SEO include Facebook open graph Metadata in your site’s <head> section.
Also, comes into your help to pick up the precise thumbnail and page details while the post from your website is shared on Facebook.
Social networking site Twitter
For Twitter, you can include Twitter cards in your website’s head part. Also, you can pick up the type of card to utilise. Better use synopsis with the larger image.
Social media site Pinterest
Alike Facebook, Pinterest also makes use of Open Graph Metadata. Ensure you enclose Metadata box checked on the Facebook setting.
Then you only have to enter website verification code offered by Pinterest. Just visit your Pinterest account setting to and add your website verification.
Social networking site Google plus
Here, you can look at the box that lets you posts Google plus related data. The second preference for the page is to get in your Google plus publisher page.
If you have developed Google plus a page for your company, include your URL and get into your Google plus business page and enter the URL of your website in the about section.
8. XML sitemap
Sitemap holds an important part on your WordPress website. It is one of the simplest ways to get indexed and notify search engines regarding your content. Besides, it also tells you to inform search engine to prioritise your content.
- For set up, make sure you get into the box and checked “Check this box to enable XML sitemap functionality”
- Then, click on “User Sitemap” that disables author or user sitemap
- Click on the post type tab disabling the post types you do not wish to keep in the sitemap
- Go over the similar procedure for taxonomy.
This page lets you configure some setting such as breadcrumb, permalink and RSS feed.
They are ideal for internal linking as they explain a clean way or follow the page you are on. You also can get them in the search engine providing your website additional benefits in the search.
Permalinks setting in Yoast SEO allows adding the plugins that are developed in WordPress. This part does not only permit to build SEO compatible WordPress URL but also assume you have already accomplished that.
RSS feeds section on WordPress SEO plugins lets you include backlinks in your feed content as most content scraper use feed to copy your content. Here you can receive backlinks from their website and Google recognises your content original.
There are lots of preference to include your author link, Post link, blog link and the description. Be creative and add the advertisement wisely.
I hope that you got everything covered in the guides to set up Yoast WordPress SEO plugin. If you think I have missed any important point you can get into the comment box and provide the points.